Coastal America Awards Program
Since 1997, the Coastal America Awards Program has recognized outstanding collaborative projects and excellence in leadership for protecting, preserving and restoring the nation's coastal resources. Nominations are carefully reviewed by an interagency committee and approved by political leadership representing the White House. Selection criteria require that successful projects include at least one federal agency partner as well as one non-federal entity, clearly demonstrate the "value added" of the partnership effort, reflect an innovative or unique way of accomplishing stated goals and objectives with positive environmental results, and contribute to the accomplishment of Coastal America's National objectives to restore and protect resources and to increase public awareness of the coastal and marine environment.
View past awards
Coastal America Award Categories
1. The Coastal America Partnership Award is the highest level award for environmental partnership efforts. This award from the President recognizes outstanding collaborative, multi-agency and multi-stakeholder efforts that leverage and combine resources to accomplish coastal restoration, preservation, protection, and education projects of national significiance.
2. The Regional Coastal America Spirit Award recognizes exceptional project teams that demonstrate the 'spirit' of Coastal America's objectives through innovative regional projects that address our challenging coastal issues. This award is bestowed upon similar partnership project teams, thise that do not achieve National significance, have not yet fully matured or may not involve as many partners.
3. The Coastal America Special Recognition Award. Recognizes extraordinary non-governmental organizations for their demonstrated leadership in engaging partners to protect and restore coastal resources and/or increasing public awareness and understanding of coastal and marine issues.
4. John H. Chafee Coastal Stewardship Award. This category was established in 1999 to recognize individuals who have demonstrated outstanding leadership and commitment to environmental quality throughout their career. Senator Chafee distinguished himself in this area, being cited time and again for his commitment to the environment and his leadership in influencing public policy on behalf of the environment. This award is presented on an as-warranted basis and is ongoing and distinct from the annual Coastal America Award Program nomination process.
The Value of Recognition
- Stimulates understanding of regional coastal issues at the National leadership level through regional award ceremonies created in conjunction with the Nominator.
- Provides an opportunity for National/Regional/local leadership to address their constituents.
- Encourages the awarded team to continue to work together on other projects, improving efficiency and decreasing costs.
- Promotes the transfer of innovative partnering methods and results
- Helps to increase public awareness, education and stewardship of oceans, coasts, and watersheds through regional ceremonies open to the public.
For further information on the Coastal America Awards Program Contact:
300 7th St, SW, Suite 680
Washington, DC 20024